Change Consulting, a social justice communications agency based in Oakland, is seeking a team member who can specialize in earned media to support client projects. We are looking for a motivated, results-oriented and entrepreneurial team member with integrity; a positive, can-do attitude; and a deep and demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice for Black communities and communities of color. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, a proven track record for supporting media relations efforts, have a passion and drive for following the news cycle, and the ability to successfully reach out to journalists and place strategic stories. This position has high expectations, but if you are the team member we are looking for, then you are already motivated by high expectations.
We are a Black-woman led and women-operated company started in 2009, and serving organizing and policy advocacy organizations, foundations, and mission-driven changemakers. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, LGBTQ, TGNC folks strongly encouraged to apply. More information can be found here: www.change-llc.com.
It’s all about love and community. We are fully committed to racial and social justice, and we want our passion to be reflected in everything we do: from client interaction and delivering quality services, to our growth and learning. We are rooted in our community and aim to give back. We act with love, fairness, respect, and open-mindedness toward ourselves, each other, and our clients. We show generosity of spirit toward each other, our clients, and our community.
We deliver results. We are committed to making things happen. We’re a team of doers, and when we come up against a roadblock we’re quick to find and decide on a solution to push forward. We believe in process to get results, while remaining flexible and nimble. We are committed to excellence. Integrity, reliability and consistency are central in everything we do, and we strive to be as dependable as possible.
We love to grow. We are committed to constantly improving and innovating. We aim to always come up with new, outside-the-box ideas that will take our work to the next level. We value creativity in our team. We maximize our potential and are committed to continuous growing and learning to better our skills and also increase our understanding of the issues we work on. We will offer opportunities for training, education, and growth.
We keep our standards–and our spirits–high. While we work on a large amount of projects each year, we don’t want to compromise the quality of our work. Attention to detail is crucial in every task to ensure we are helping our clients achieve the best results possible. While we work hard, we also share a lot of laughs along the way. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and we aim to create an atmosphere of enjoyment, fun and lightness even as we work with our clients to tackle the toughest of challenges. Having an environment where we can be ourselves and have a good time is essential.
Ride or die. Being part of a small team means that we are often all hands on deck. We bring a creative and can-do attitude to every challenge and every project, and we start from a place of yes. We are all in on this mission together.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
You will be empowered to support our client partners to succeed in their organizing, policy, programmatic, culture-change and fundraising-related goals. This position reports to the communications director leading our earned media work. While we are based in Oakland, candidates can be located anywhere.
Essential functions Include:
- Support in developing and implementing long-term and project-based earned media strategies that advance overall strategic communications to meet clients’ goals and objectives
- Securing key media placements that advance clients’ thought leadership and goals
- Produce and implement earned media strategies, including:
- Researching and developing media lists and targeted pitches
- Developing press releases and media advisories
- Conducting outreach
- Preparing briefing sheets for clients and providing support in interview preparation
- Identifying story opportunities as they arise in the news cycle and acting on them quickly
- Understanding the news media landscape
- Support in developing speeches and talking points for client participation in events and thought leadership opportunities
- Help manage and drive events and campaign rollouts, including media outreach and supporting on client preparation, as noted above
- Support in managing client accounts, including scheduling and running meetings, sending follow up action items, agency/client communications, and coordination as needed
- Contribute channel expertise to brainstorming client projects and support the team through participation, note taking and summarizing notes and next steps
Education and/or Experience:
- At least three to five years of relevant communications experience, including serving movement organizations, nonprofits or foundations
- Strong writing skills, and ability to identify good stories and exercise good storytelling skills
- Experience using communications to advance racial and social justice, specifically earned media placements
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong commitment to racial justice and social justice
- Excellent written, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and organized, ability to produce results without supervision
- Ability to manage and move projects, as well as manage relationships across organizations and teams
- Ability and desire to stay plugged into what’s happening in social justice, mass media and popular culture
- Frequent use and general knowledge of industry practices, techniques and standards
- Fun to work with, and doesn’t take themselves too seriously
Compensation and Benefits:
This position has a starting salary of $75,000. This position will report to the Director of Communications – Engagement. We also offer health benefits, paid time off and self-care and training/education stipend. Please send a writing sample, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.