We are looking for a motivated, results-oriented, and entrepreneurial team member with integrity; a positive, can-do attitude; and a deep and demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice for Black communities and communities of color. Working closely with our team, this position will lead and implement earned media services for clients, supporting the earned media aspects of integrated strategic communications campaigns, programs, and other projects. We are a Black-woman led and women-operated company started in 2009, and serving organizing and advocacy organizations, foundations, and mission-driven changemakers. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, LGBTQ, TGNC folks strongly encouraged to apply. More information can be found here: www.change-llc.com.
It’s all about love and community. We are fully committed to racial and social justice, and we want our passion to be reflected in everything we do: from client interaction and delivering quality services, to our growth and learning. We are rooted in our community and aim to give back. We act with love, fairness, respect, and open-mindedness toward ourselves, each other, and our clients. We show generosity of spirit toward each other, our clients, and our community.
We deliver results. We are committed to making things happen. We’re a team of doers, and when we come up against a roadblock we’re quick to find and decide on a solution to make sure we keep pedaling forward. We believe in process to get results, while remaining flexible and nimble. This also means that we are committed to hard work, excellence, and results. Integrity, reliability and consistency are central in everything we do, and we strive to be as dependable as possible.
We love to grow. We are committed to constantly improving and innovating. We aim to always come up with new, outside-the-box ideas that will take our work to the next level. We value creativity in our team. We maximize our potential, and are committed to continuous growing and learning to better our skills and also increase our understanding of the issues we work on. We will offer opportunities for training, education and growth.
We keep our standards–and our spirits–high. While we work on a large amount of projects each year, we don’t want to compromise the quality of our work. Attention to detail is crucial in every task to ensure we are helping our clients achieve the best results possible. While we work hard, we also share a lot of laughs along the way. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, and we aim to create an atmosphere of enjoyment, fun and lightness even as we work with our clients to tackle the toughest of challenges. Having an environment where we can be ourselves and have a good time is essential.
Ride or die. Being part of a small team means that we are often all hands on deck. We bring a creative and can-do attitude to every challenge and every project, and we start from a place of yes. We are all in on this mission together.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications Director helps lead the engagement portfolio for Change Consulting, providing cutting-edge earned media expertise and leadership to the agency and to our clients, and supporting digital media projects as well. You will be empowered to support our client partners to succeed in their policy-, programmatic-, culture-change and fundraising-related goals.
This position is a leader who has their finger on the pulse of a rapidly changing media landscape, who follows trends and influencers, and can help our clients compete in the marketplace of ideas once they have clarity and alignment around their overarching strategy and story of change (in partnership with the director of strategy). This position is responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned accounts, including developing and executing strategies and tactics, managing budgets and serving as a key client liaison. This position contributes to the identification, cultivation and support of new business, and this position supervises team members servicing each account.
Lead/Manage Client Accounts:
- Develop and execute advanced public relations campaign strategies and tactics, leading earned media, events, and other engagement strategies to build awareness of client organizations, campaigns and initiatives for maximum impact
- Provide day to day supervision and management for assigned clients
- Providing ongoing status and final reports on progress towards client goals internally and externally to clients
- Help lead client strategy sessions and workshops on earned media and other engagement strategies, including designing the agenda and sharing with the client in advance, and facilitating breakout sessions
- Demonstrate industry, client and issue area knowledge and understanding, in order to present breakthrough ideas and strategies
- As appropriate, manage and work with teams to deliver quality services and results for clients
- Attend regular staff and team meetings – providing input and feedback on business improvement, including client service staff development, and office procedures
Drive Engagement Services for Clients:
- Drive earned media strategies for maximum results, including:
- Identify good stories and exercise good storytelling skills
- Help develop targeted, research-based media lists for clients and rollouts
- Develop and edit press materials, including press releases, fact sheets, opinion pieces and ensure quality work
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the news cycle and newsworthiness leading to the development of breakthrough pitches
- Skillfully pitch media outlets, producers, editors, and reporters
- Prepare briefing sheets and briefing books for clients
- Organize press conferences and other press events
- Identify and engage influencers beyond journalists, as appropriate
- Help support digital media strategies for clients
- Support content development:
- Manage development of content and design for collateral and content as aligned with overall strategies, such as visuals for social media, video, op-eds, publications, reports, interactive media, events and more
- Proofread and coordinate production of communications materials
- Develop presentations, including speeches and talking points, researching and analyzing information, planning logistics, graphic presentation and overall coordination
- Secure new business with support from founder including:
- Identifying new business prospects
- Taking a lead on proposals or major components of proposals
- Ensure current clients are aware of Change Consulting’s full service offerings
Overall Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong commitment to racial justice and social justice
- Excellent written, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage and move projects, as well as manage relationships across organizations and teams
- Ability to stay plugged into what’s happening in racial and social justice, mass media and popular culture
- Frequently use and general knowledge of industry practices, techniques and standards
- Demonstrate sound judgement and present best ideas to clients
- Acting as a model of good citizenship
- Fun to work with, and doesn’t take themselves too seriously
- People of color, LGBTQ, TGNC folks strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation and Benefits:
This position reports to the agency founder. While we are based in Oakland, California, this position can be remote and has a starting salary of $95,000. We also offer health benefits, paid time off and a training/education stipend. Please send cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com.